DIY Vent Cover, Weekend Finds and More

You know at the beginning of Glee how they do a recap of things going on or things you’ve missed? (Or used to, I haven’t seen that show in awhile.) That’s how today is going to go down.

Here’s the credenza we picked up at Find Furnish a few weekends ago.  Looks very similar to our old one but is the perfect size-eventually we’ll repair him but he’s definitely all ours.

The honed hexagon marble tile for the bathroom floor arrived (packed very well with foam) and I love it.

This flooring is no longer blocking our way. Went back on the truck on its pallet last night. And the company wasn’t so awful and decided to give us all but $200 back.

Too bad half of it was unusable because the good pieces were beautiful.

My awesome mom made this reusable bag out of plastic bags and sent me one.

The dogs are as adorable as ever and Vivi is basically her adult size even though she’s not quite 6 months old.

Sigh, they grow so fast.


Here’s the vent cover (I guess I couldn’t be bothered that day to get a decent picture but I’ll try again when the room is in order) made with decorative sheet metal from Home Depot and some scrap lumber.  By the way, we decided to change the trim from Paper White to Decorator’s White by Benjamin Moore which is going on this door below.

The closet doors will be hung soon in our bedroom. Yes, the basement still looks like a dungeon. Only not really.

We ordered a few more schoolhouse lights for around the house. Here’s the one in the kitchen (a bigger version of the one in the hall)…with the screwy background where the previous owners attached the old blinds to 2 x 4s and tried to make it look like the window casing. (It’s like that in the bedrooms too…a later fix.) The kitchen is possibly the ugliest room in here but I’ll think about the renovation plans later.

Over the weekend, we picked up this piece of art…that I’ve had my eye on the last 3 times we’ve gone into my favorite shop in town, the Local Joint. Finally just picked it up for $24. I love the colors and the frame shape (even though it has a few chips).  It’s on top of the credenza, leaning against the wall.  Looks great with the gray. I’ll fix and place it with the other pieces I’ve yet to collect and put them in a collage.

Then the best find EVER in my books, an aggravation board. As in the game I played with my grandpa. This one has a 4 player version on one side and 6 on the other. Woot woot! I bought some marbles and dice. Now to teach the dogs to play…which didn’t go so well for euchre. Greg and I lost. Damn smart dogs.

This entry was posted in Dressers, Furniture Finds, Our Furniture, Thrifty Finds and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to DIY Vent Cover, Weekend Finds and More

  1. Lisa Holmes says:

    I enjoy your blog!!
    I too am transplanted in SoMN, and working on a house.
    I have a question about your vent cover, How did you attach it to the wall?
    I have vent covers that I have removed when I repaired my plaster walls, I like the DIY vent covers that you created.. But am not sure how to re-attach without making the plaster look horrible..
    Thanks
    Lisa

    • Annie says:

      Thank you, Lisa. Small world! Unfortunately I don’t know that this will be helpful because we were lucky the vent had the studs exposed to attach the wood blocks to so we could attach the cover. But maybe. The vent cover frame was made of some scrap wood that we screwed together, put putty in the holes, painted then attached the already painted sheet metal with some tacks. Next, we screwed a few pieces of wood to the studs that happened to be on the side of our vent. Greg and I used putty to hide those holes and put a few coats of paint on it after a light sanding. I came across this how-to for the same thing done in a different way that might help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *